Pun's IB Psychology HL Blog

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

STUDENT LEARNING STYLE

Today, we did a test that can determine our learning styles. Firstly, we have to rank the importance of 4 words in 10 lists. Then we added up the score at the end of the test. Now, we can know our learning styles.

There are 4 styles of learning: concrete sequential (CS), abstract random (AR), abstract sequential (AS), and concrete random (CR)

After I did the test, I found out that I have a concrete sequential style of learning.

Here are my characteristics suggested on the web. http://http//www.csrnet.org/csrnet/articles/student-learning-styles.htmlhttp://www.csrnet.org/csrnet/articles/student-learning-styles.html

What Do They Do Best?
Apply ideas in a practical way
Organize
Fine-tune ideas to make them more efficient
Produce concrete products from abstract ideas
Work well within time limits

What Makes Sense to Them?
Working systematically, step by step
Paying close attention to details
Having a schedule to follow
Literal interpretations
Knowing what’s expected of them
Routines, established ways of doing things

What’s Hard For them?
Working in groups
Discussions that seem to have no specific point
Working in an unorganized environment
Following incomplete or unclear directions
Working with unpredictable people
Dealing with abstract ideas
Demands to "use your imagination"
Questions with no right or wrong answers

What Questions Do They Ask While Learning?
"What are the facts I need?"
"How do I do it?"
"What should the result look like?"
"When is it due?"

The result of the test suggest that I'm a CS, and I agree with most of the CS traits suggested. However, there are some characteristic that don't fit me at all. For example, it says that CS would have a hard time working in a group. I rarely have problem working in a group. When I look at the traits of the other styles of learning, I can see some traits that really fit me. I think this might happened because my score for each styles was really close (maybe i'm the hybrid of all styles).

2 Comments:

  • Well done Pun you have made some quite good comments though I was hoping that you would write more evaluative comments. How about you add a little more. Also you need to check the way you included the link.

    By Blogger Peter Anthony @ SAS, at 1:06 PM  

  • I totally agree with your result. We are both CS, maybe that is why we are in the same classes the whole day, and every day. The section "What Questions Do They Ask While Learning?" really reflects on your real-life personality. Anyway great job!

    By Blogger DanielR, at 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home